I prefer to be contacted by email at "dt at cs•ucla•edu". Regrettably, I often receive a greater volume of email than I can answer promptly, or even at all; my apologies.

I am on sabbatical leave from UCLA during the 2022-23 academic year.

If you are interested in joining my research group, thank you. Please refer to the following FAQ:

May I join your group as a visiting scholar?

Only if you have your own financial support. However, I tend to advise many graduate students and the UCLA Computer Graphics & Vision Lab is normally filled to capacity, so I must be highly selective in accommodating visitors.

May I become your graduate student?

I will ignore mass emails, but if you are academically exceptional and believe that we have substantial common research interests, then tell me about yourself in a personal email message. Please don't send me a big message with lots of attachments; instead, place your CV and other materials on your website and send me a brief, plain-text introductory message with URL pointers to relevant materials. If I am sufficiently impressed by your interests, background, and accomplishments, I may reply to your message and personally encourage you to apply for admission into our CS graduate program. Please understand, however, that I receive too many such messages and cannot respond to most of them.

I personally cannot offer you admission. Graduate admissions in the UCLA Computer Science Department are decided by our Graduate Admissions Committee on a competitive basis taking into consideration the entire applicant pool in any particular year. To be considered for admission, you must submit a formal application. If you would like to apply, please follow the instructions given here.

Would it be possible for me to obtain financial support?

My available funding is normally committed in its entirety to my current PhD students, though this situation can occasionally change. Our Graduate Admissions Committee can offer financial support fellowships only to a few of the highest-ranked PhD applicants to whom they offer admission. Most of our PhD students support themselves through departmental teaching assistantships (TA) beyond their initial 9-month research assistantship (RA) support funded by their advisors. Many of our graduate students also obtain paid summer internships at companies.

What is the status of my application for admission into the CS graduate program?

Please inquire with the Computer Science Graduate Student Affairs Office at gradadm@cs.ucla.edu; Tel: 310-825-0060 or 310-825-6830; Fax: 310-206-8133.

May I join your research group? I have been admitted to UCLA or am already a UCLA student.

Please arrange to meet with me so we can get to know each other better. However, before I can agree to take on a new PhD student, which is a serious, long-term academic commitment, and allocate space for them in our lab, I normally expect them to take one of my graduate courses and impress me with the quality of their work.

Can I do an internship in your group at UCLA? I am an undergraduate or graduate student at another university.

Not unless you have your own financial support. If you cannot indicate in your message that you have full financial support and/or send a bulk email not addressed specifically to me, I will certainly not reply as I get too many such queries.

Demetri Terzopoulos