China's Geography, Population and Ethnicities

The image shows airline routes in China. The map is above the counter at the Hangzhou Airport waiting lounge.

The dense air connections to the East serve the preponderence of the 1,200,000,000 Chinese. Still, according to [3, p.45], "Only 20% of the total population is classified as urban."

The nationalities within China begin with Han, about 93% of the population. However, that number doesn't give the full picture since the Han have absorbed many other groups. The remaining 7% are distributed over much (50%) of China's national territory.

Minority University


[3] Taylor, Chris, et. al.,China, Lonely Planet Travel Survival Kit, Hawthorn Victoria Australia: Lonely Planet Publications, 1996, ISBN 086422-363-2.

Klinger, Allen China as a Modern Nation.

Klinger, Allen Comments on Chinese Culture.