The HSSEAS website (http://www.engineering.ucla.edu) has highlighted the recent award of a $6.1M grant from NIH entitled Center for Biomedical Real-Time Health Evaluation for Pediatric Asthma (BREATHE). The Center's goal is to become a leader in the development of mobile health technologies that will improve clinical management of pediatric conditions. Co-Director Majid Sarrafzadeh, along with PI Alex Bui of radiological sciences and Co-Director Frank Gilliland of USC Keck School of Medicine, will guide this research.
Research Projects (samples)
- Co-PI in a UCLA-led consortium of five University of California medical schools, plus Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, has received $9.9 million from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality to research the use of wireless and telephone care management to reduce hospital readmissions for (about) 1500 heart failure patients.
- Sensing in At Risk Populations (SARP) funded by NIH: This project will apply our novel healthcare monitoring system in a large population of elderly patients through various phases of post-acute care: rehabilitation, long-term care, assisted living and the home. The data collected by our intelligent system can in turn be used to generate novel, personalized predictive models and algorithms. We can apply these models to encourage safety by detecting evolving fall risk, track independence by monitoring validated activities over time, and decrease healthcare utilization by predicting risk for hospitalization and allowing for early intervention by providers and caregivers.
Professional Activities (samples)
- Co-founder, MediSens Wireless.
- Co-founder, Wanda Health.
- Co-funder, Bruin Biometric.
- Co-founder, Hierarchical Design, Inc., 2001. Was acquired by Xilinx in 2004.
- Main architect, Monterey Design Systems, Was acquired by Synopsys in 2004.
- Co-founder of Wireless Health Conference, 2010.
Edward K. Rice Outstanding Doctoral Student award is given annually to only ONE PhD student in the entire engineering school at UCLA. In the past few years my students have received this award:
· Foad Dabiri, 2008 · Mahsan Rofouie, 2012 · Navid Amini, 2013
Haik Kalantarian received the best PhD research award (2016)
Nabil Alshurafa received the best PhD award from Computer Science (2015)
Songhoon (Ivan) Lee received the best PhD research award (2014)
Navid Amini received the best PhD research award (2013)
Mahsan Rafouie received the best PhD research award (2012)
Hyduke Noshadi received the best PhD research award (2010).