Fellow for contribution of multiplexing technique and file allocation in
Meritorious Service Award, associate editor for Computer Network and
Distributed Processing (1983).
Computer Certificate of Appreciation for Significant Service to the IEEE
First International Workshop on System Management (1994).
Computer Society Golden Core Member (1996).
Computer Society Technical Achievement Award for contributions to
Intelligent Information Systems (2003).
Life Fellow (2004).
- The 6th Brazilian Distributed Database Conference on
Cooperative Database Systems, 1991.
- Scientific Database Research at the 12th International
Conference on ER Approach, Texas, 1993.
- Knowledge Based Medical Image Systems at the Tenth International
Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences, Kusadasi, Turkey, 1995.
- Knowledge-based Information Management for Biomedical Applications at
the 5th IFAC Symposium on Modeling and Control in
Biomedical Systems, Melbourne, Australia, August 2003.
- A Knowledge-based Medical Digital Library at the 15th
International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering, SEDE, Los Angeles, California, July 2006
- Knowledge-Based Image Retrieval with Spatial and Temporal
Constructs at the Tenth International Symposium on Methodologies for
Intelligent Systems (ISMIS'97), North Carolina, October 1997.
- Intelligent Database Systems at the International Conference on
Intelligent Information Systems, Grand Bahama Island, Grand Bahamas Island,
- Knowledge-Based Medical Image Retrieval at the High
Performance Database Research Workshop, Florida International University,
- Best paper award for paper presented at the 19th
International Conference on Conceptual Modeling, 2000.
- 2nd best paper award for student paper presented at the
American Medical Information Association Congress, 2002.
- 3rd best paper award for student paper presented at the
American Medical Information Association Congress, 2003.
- Awarded "Certificate of Merit" for the Medical Digital Library (MDL)
demonstration presented at the 89th Annual Meeting of the
Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), 2003.
- Invited by United Nations (1984) and World Bank (1987) as a member of
scientific delegates to consult and lecture on Computer Communications
and Networks, and Distributed Data Bases in People's Republic of
- Selected by National Science Council as a delegate scientist to visit
Taiwan and give invited lecture series (1992).
- KMeD as a feature article on Cutting Edge Technology related to
content-based medical image retrieval in the Los Angeles Times,
Business Section, August 4, 1997.