1. Jianming He and Wesley W. Chu. "A Social Network Based Recommender System". To appear in Annals of Information Systems: Special Issue on Data Mining for Social Network Data (AIS-DMSND), 2009; also in Technical Report #090014, Computer Science Department, UCLA, 2009.
1. Y. Chen and W. W. Chu "Protection of Database Security via Collaborative Inference Detection"
In IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), Special
Issue on Intelligence and Security Informatics, Vol 20, No 8, August
2. J. He, W. W. Chu and Z. Liu "Inferring Privacy Information from Social Networks", In Proc. of IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (ISI 2006), San Diego, California, USA, May 2006.
3. Y. Chen and W. W. Chu "Database Security Protection via Inference Detection", In Proc. of IEEE Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (ISI 2006), San Diego, California, USA, May 2006.
1. Sanghyun Park, S-W Kim and Wesley W. Chu. "SBASS: Segment Based Approach for Subsequence Search in Sequence Databases" In International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering, 2007
2. Shaorong Liu and Wesley W. Chu. "CoXML: A Cooperative XML Query Answering System" In the 8th International Conference on Web-Age Information Management, 2007
3. Wesley W. Chu and Shaorong Liu. "CoXML: Cooperative XML Query Answering" In The Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering, Edit by B. Wah, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2007
4. Shaorong Liu, Wesley W. Chu, and Ruzan Shahinian. "Vague Content and Structure (VCAS) Retreival for Document-centric XML Collections". In WebDB (in conjunction with SIGMOD), 2005.
5. S. Liu, W. W. Chu and R. S. Shahinian "Vague Content and
Structure (VCAS) Retreival for Document-Centric XML Collections", In Proc.
of the Eighth International Workshop on the Web and Databases (WebDB),
6. Zou, Q., S. Liu, and W. W. Chu "Using a Compact Tree to Index and Query XML Data", Proceedings of the Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 2004
7. Liu, S., Q. Zou and W. W. Chu "Configurable Indexing and Ranking for XML Information Retrieval", ACM Proceeding of Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval (SIGIR), 2004
8. Lee, D., W. Mao, H. Chiu, W. W. Chu "Designing Triggers with Trigger-By-Example", Knowledge and Information Systems, Springer, 2004
9. Lee D. and W. W. Chu, "CPI: Constraints-Preserving Inlining Algorithm for Mapping XML DTD to Relational Schema", Intellectual Conceptual Modeling Journal of Data and Knowledge Engineering, special issue on Conceptual Modeling, Vol. 39, No. 1, pps. 3-25, October 2001. (Best paper award presented at 19th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling, 2000.)
10. Chu, W. W. and W. Mao, "CoSent: A cooperative Sentinel for
Intelligent Information Systems", Proceedings of the 2000 International
Conference on Artificial Intelligence,
11. Minock, M. and W.W. Chu, "Explanation Over Inference Hierarchies in Active Mediation Applications", Journal of Applied Intelligence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pps. 101-112, September/October 2000.
12. Chu, W. W. and G. Zhang, "Associative Query Answering Via
Query Feature Similarity", Proceedings of the Intelligent Information
13. Chu, W. W., H. Yang, K. Chiang, M. Minock, G. Chow, and C. Larson, "CoBase: A Scalable and Extensible Cooperative Information System", Journal of Intelligence Information Systems, Volume 6, Number 6, pps. 223-259, 1996.
14. Chu, W. W., K. Chiang, C. C. Hsu, and H. Yau, "An Error-Based Conceptual Clustering Method for Providing Approximate Query Answers", Communications of the ACM, 39(13), December 1996
1. Qinghua Zou, Wesley W. Chu, Yu Chen, and Xinchun Lu. "Mining association rules from tabular data guided by maximal frequent itemset. In W.W. Chu and T.Y. Lin, editors, Foundations and Advances in Data Mining.Springer, 2005.
2. Zou, Q. and W. W. Chu "Mining Frequent Patterns via Pattern Decomposition", Encyclopedia of Data Warehousing and Mining , Springer, 2005
3. Zou, Q., W. W. Chu, D. Johnson, H. Chiu, "Pattern Decomposition Algorithm for Data Mining of Frequent Patterns", International Journal on Knowledge and Information Systems (KAIS), pps. 1-14, 2002.
4. Zou, Q., W. W. Chu, and B. Lu. "SmartMiner: A Depth First
Algorithm Guided by Tail Information for Mining Maximal Frequent
Itemsets", Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Data
5. Giuffrida, G., W. W. Chu., and D. M. Hanssens, "NOAH: An
Algorithm for Mining Classification Rules from Datasets with Large Attribute
Space", Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Extending
6. Park, S. and W.
7. Goldman, J.A., W. W. Chu, D. S. Parker, and R. M. Goldman,
"Term Domain Distribution Analysis: a Data Mining Tool for Text
Databases", 2001 IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics, Schattauer,
8. Merzbacher, M. A. and W. W. Chu, "Pattern-Based Clustering
For Database Attribute Values", AAAI Workshop on Knowledge Discovery in
1. Yu Chen, Lars Henning Pedersen, Wesley W. Chu and Jorn Olsen. "Drug Exposure Side Effects from Mining Pregnancy Data" In SIGKDD Explorations (Volume 9, Issue 1), June 2007, Special Issue on Data Mining for Health Informatics, Guest Editors: Raymond Ng and Jian Pei.
2. Zhenyu Liu and Wesley W. Chu "Knowledge-Based Query Expansion to Support Scenario-Specific Retrieval of Medical Free Text" Journal of Information Retrieval, special issue on Contextual Information Retrieval, 2007
3. W. W. Chu Ph.D, Z. Liu Ph.D., W. Mao Ph.D., and Q. Zou Ph.D.. "A Knowledge-Based Approach for Retrieving Scenario-specific Medical Text Documents" In Control Engineering Practice. 13 (9), pp. 1105-1121, 2005.
4. Liu, Z. and W. W. Chu, "Knowledge-based Query Expansion to Support Scenario-Specific Retrieval of Medical Free Text", In Proc. of the 20th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC 2005), Special Track on Information Access and Retrieval , Santa Fe, NM, March 2005.
5. Zou, Q., W. W. Chu and H. Kangarloo, "IndexFinder: A Knowledge-based Method for Indexing Clinical Texts", at Proceedings of AMIA 2003 (3rd place, best student paper award)
6. Mao, W. and W. W. Chu, "Free text medical document retrieval
via phrase-based vector space model", Proceedings of AMIA 2002,
7. Park, S., W.
8. Park, S and W. W. Chu, "Similarity-Based Subsequence Search in Image Sequence Databases", International Journal of Images and Graphics, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 31-53, 2003, February, 2003.
9. Chu, W. W., D. B. Johnson and H. Kangarloo, "A Medical Digital Library to Support Scenario and User-Tailored Information Retrieval", in IEEE Transaction on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 4, No. 2, June 2000.
10. Chu, W. W., Chih-Ceng Hsu, A. Cardenas and R. Taira, "Knowledge-Based Image Retrieval with Spatial and Temporal Constructs", IEEE Trans on Knowledge and Data Engineering, December 1998
11. Chu, W. W., A. F. Cardenas and R. K. Taira, "KMeD: A Knowledge-Based Multimedia Medical Distributed Database Systems", Journal of Information Systems, June 1995.
12. Chu, W. W., I. T. Ieong and R. K. Taira, "A Semantic Modeling Approach for Image Retrieval by Content", special issue on Spatial Database Systems, Journal of VLDB, October 1994.
13. Chu, W. W., I. T. Ieong, R. K. Taira and C. M. Breant, "A Temporal Evolutionary Object-Oriented data Model and Its Query Language for Medical Image Management." Proceedings of the 18th VLDB Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, pps. 1-12, August 1992.
1. Chu, W. W., "Optimal File Allocation in Multiple Computer Systems", IEEE Transaction on Computers, October 1969, pp. 885-889.
2. Chu, W. W., "Performance of File Directory Systems for Data Bases in Star and Distributed Networks", AFIPS Conf. Proc., Volume 45, pps. 577-587, June 1976.
3. Chu, W. W. and P. Hurley, "Optimal Query Processing for Distributed Database Systems", IEEE Transactions on Computers, September 1982, pp. 835-850.
4. Chu, W. W. and I. T. Ieong, "A Transaction-Based Approach to Vertical Partitioning for Relational Database Systems", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, August 1993, pp. 804-812.
1. Chu, W. W., M. T. Lan and J. Hellerstein, "Estimation of Intermodule Communication (IMC) and Its Application in Distributed Processing Systems", IEEE Transactions on Computers, August 1984, pp.691-699.
2. Chu, W. W. and K. K. Leung, "Task Response Time Model and Its Applications for Real-Time Distributed Processing Systems", Proceedings of the Real Time Systems Symposium, December 1984, pp. 225-236.
3. Chu, W. W. and J. Hellerstein, "The Exclusive-Writer Approach to Updating Replicated Files in Distributed Processing Systems", IEEE Transactions on Computers, Vol. C-34, No. 6, pp. 489-500, June 1985.
4. Chu, W. W. and M. T. Lan, "Task Allocation and Precedence Relations for Distributed Real-Time Systems", IEEE Transactions on Computers, June 1987, pp. 667-679.
5. Chu, W. W. and K. K. Leung, "Module Replication and Assignment for Real-Time Distributed Processing Systems", Special Issue on Distributed Data Bases, IEEE Proceedings, May 1987, pp. 547-562.
6. Chu, W. W. and C. M. Sit, "A Batch Service Scheduling Algorithm with Time-Out for Real-Time Distributed Processing Systems", 7th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, September 1987.
7. Chu, W. W., C. M. Sit and K. K. Leung, "Task Response Time for Real-Time Distributed Systems with Resource Contentions", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, October 1991.
8. Bagrodia, R., W. W. Chu, L. Kleinrock, and G. Popek, "Vision, Issues, and Architecture for Nomadic Computing", IEEE Personal Communications, December 1995.
1. Chu, W. W., "Buffer Behavior for Poisson Arrives and Multiple Synchronous Constant Outputs", IEEE Trans. on Computers, VC-19: 530-534, June 1970.
2. Chu, W. W., "Buffer Behavior for Batch Poisson Arrivals and Single Constant Output", IEEE Trans. on Communication Technology, COM-18: 613-618, October 1970.
3. Chu, W. W. and L. Liang, "Buffer Behavior for Mixed Input traffic and Constant output Rate", IEEE Trans. in Communications, 20: 230-235, April 1972.
4. Chu, W. W., "Demultiplexing Considerations for Statistical Multiplexors", IEEE Trans. in Communications, COM-20: 603-609, June 1972.
5. Chu, W. W. and A. G. Konheim, "On Analysis and Modeling a Class of Computer Communication Systems", IEEE Trans. in Communications, COM-20: 645-660, June 1972.
6. Chu, W. W., "Optimal Message Block Size for Computer Communications with Error Detection and Retransmission Strategies", IEEE Trans. in Communications, pps. 1516-1525, October 1974.
7. Chu, W. W., M. Gerla, W. E. Naylor, S. Treadwell, D. Mills, P. Spilling and F. A. Aagesen, "Experimental Results on the Packet Satellite Network", NTC '79 Conf. Record, Washington DC, 2: 45.4.1-45.4.12, November 27-27, 1979.
8. Chu, W. W. and M. Y.-C. Shen, "A Hierarchical Routing and Flow Control Policy (HRFC) for Packet Switched Networks", IEEE Trans. On Computers, Vol. C-29, No. 11, pp. 971-977, November 1980.
9. Chu, W. W., G. Fayolle and D. G. Hibbits, "An Analysis of a Tandem Queuing System for Flow Control in Computer Networks", IEEE Trans. On Computers, Vol. C-30, No. 5, pp. 318-324, May 1981.
10. Elsanadidi, M.Y. and W. W. Chu, "Study of Acknowledgement Schemes in a Star Multi-Access Network", IEEE Trans. On Communications, Vol. COM-30(7): 1657-1667, July 1982.
11. Chu, W. W., W. Haller and K. K. Leung, "Reservation Channel Access Protocol for High Speed Local Networks with Star Configurations", IEEE Trans. On Computers, Vol. C-32, No. 8, pp. 736-766, August 1983.
1. Chu, W. W. and H. Opderceck, "The Page Fault Replacement Algorithm", AFIPS Proc., 1972 Fall Joint Computer Conf., December 1972, pps. 597-609.
2. Opderbeck, H. and Chu, W.W., "Performance of the Page Fault Frequency Replacement Algorithm in a Multiprogramming Environment", Proc. of the IFIP Conf. 74, Stockholm, Sweden, August 1974.
3. Chu, W. W. and H. Opderbeck, "Performance of Replacement Algorithms with Different Page Sizes", IEEE Computer, pp. 14-21, December 1974.
4. Opderbeck, H. and Chu, W.W., "The Renewal Model for Program Behavior", SIAM J. on Computing, 4-3: 356-374, September 1975.
5. Chu, W. W. and H. Opderceck, "Analysis of the PFF Replacement Algorithm Via A Semi-Markov Model", Communications of the ACM, Vol. 19, No. 5, pps. 298-304, May 1976.
6. Chu, W. W. and H. Opderbeck, "Program Behavior and the Page-Fault-Frequency Replacement Algorithm", IEEE Computer, pp. 29-38, November 1976.
1. Jianming He and Wesley W. Chu. "Protecting Private Information in Online Social Networks" Chapter 14 in Intelligence and Security Informatics (edited by H. Chen and C.C. Yang), SCI 135, pp. 249-273, 2008
2. Yu Chen and Wesley W. Chu. "Protection of Database Security via Collaborative Inference Detection" Chapter 15 in Intelligence and Security Informatics (edited by H. Chen and C.C. Yang), SCI 135, pp. 275-303, 2008
3. Wesley W. Chu, Victor Liu, Wenlei Mao and Qinghua Zou "KMeX: A Knowledge-based Digital Library or retrieving Scenario-specific Medical Text Documents" Chapter 14 in Biomedical Information Technology, (edited by D. Feng) Elsevier Academic Press Series in Biomedical Engineering, 2008,
4. Chu, W. W. and S. Liu. " Cooperative XML (CoXML) Query Answering". B. Wah, ed. Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, John Wiley & Son, Inc., Dec. 2007
5. Zou, Q., Y. Chen, Chu, W. W., X. Lu. "Mining Association Rules from Tabular Data Guided by Maximal Frequent Itemsets", in Foundations and Advances in Data Mining. Chu, W.W. and T.Y. Lin, eds. Springer, 2005
6. Chu, W. W. and T.Y. Lin, Editors. Foundations and Advances in Data Mining." Springer, 2005
7. Chu, W. W. and T.Y. Lin., Guest Editors. Special issue on "Foundations and Applications of Data Mining." Journal of Applied Intelligence, 2004
8. Chu, W. W., Guest Editor. Special Issue on Conceptual Models for Intelligent Information Systems, The International Journal of Artificial Intelligence, Volume 13, No. 2, pp. 99, September/October 2000.
9. Chu, W. W., "Cooperative Information Systems", in J. G. Webster, editor, Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, John Wiley & Son, Inc., 4:327-341, 1999.
10. Chu, W. W., C. C. Hsu, I. T. Ieong, and R. K. Taira, "Content-based image retrieval using metadata and relaxation techniques", in W. Klas and A. Sheth, editors, Managing Multimedia Data: Using Metadata to Integrate and Apply Digital Data, McGraw Hill, 1998.
11. Chu, W. W., Q. Chen and M. Merzbacher, "CoBase: A Cooperative Database System" Non-Standard Queries and Answers, Oxford University Press, 1994.
12. Chu, W. W., Guest Editor, Special Issue on Distributed Database Systems, IEEE Proceedings, May 1987, pp.531-729.
13. Chu, W. W., "Principles of Distributed Data Base Design", in Computer Communications: State of the Art and Direction for the Future, W. Chou, ed., Prentice-Hall, pp. 434-481, 1985.
14. Chu, W. W., "Distributed Database Systems", Chapter 14 in Software Engineering Handbook, edited by Vick and Ramamoorthy, Van Nostrand, New York, 1984.
15. Meditch, J. S. and W. W. Chu, co-editors, Special Issue on Computer-Communication Networks, International Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering, Pergamon Press, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 125-244, September 1983.
16. Chu, W. W., Guest Editor, Special Issue on Distributed Processing Systems, IEEE Transactions on Computers, Volume C-29, No. 12, pp. 1037-1163, December 1980.
17. Cardenas, A.F., W. W. Chu, E. F. Codd, G. G. Dodd, D. K. Hsiao, C. T. Meadow, H. Morgan, R. D. Pratt, D. G. Severance, D. C. P. Smith and R. W. Taylor, "Database Management Systems", What Can Be Automated" The Computer Science and Engineering Research Study (COSERS), Chapter 10, B.W. Arden, Editor, MIT Press, pps. 731-788, 1980.
18. Chu, W. W., "Design Considerations of File Directory Systems for Distributed Databases", Infotech State of the Art Report Distributed Databases, 2:74-85, 1979.
19. Chu, W. W. and P. P. Chen, eds., "Tutorial; Centralized and Distributed Data Base Systems", IEEE Computer Press, 662 pages, October 1979.
20. Chu, W. W., ed., Advances in Computer Communications and Networking, Artech House, MA, 3rd Edition, 653 pages, 1979.
21. Chu, W. W., ed., Advances in Computer Communications, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1st Edition April 1974, 2nd Edition June 1976, 2nd Revised Edition 1977, 607 pages.
22. Chu, W. W., "Time Division Multiplexing Systems" and "Optimal File Allocation in a Computer Network", in F. Kuo, and N. Abramson, eds., Computer Communication Nets, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1973.