About Me [ CV ]
I am currently an assistant professor at Computer Science, UCLA. Prior to that, I joined Northeastern University as an assistant professor in 2013. I received my
Ph.D. degree from
Computer Science Department,
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC) in December 2012. I got my master degree and bachelor degrees in Computer Science and Statistics from
Peking University, China.
For Prospective Students
I am now looking for highly motivated Ph.D. students. Read more for related information.
- [Aug. 2017] Giving talk at MIT, attending KDD'17, and giving talk at HRL.
- [Jul. 2017] Visiting Bay Area: giving talks at Google, Standford, Facebook and Pinterest, and visiting Airbnb and Otto Radio.
- [Apr. 2017] Attending WWW'17 Conference.
- [Mar. 2017] Invited Talks at SnapChat, HeartBD2K, and CMU Tepper Business School.
- [Feb. 2017] Attending WSDM'17 Conference.
- [Nov. 2016] Invited Talks at USC Information Sciences Institute and UCSD.
- [Oct. 2016] Visiting UIUC for CS @ ILLINOIS Alumni Awards and invited talk at DAIS Seminar.
Large-Scale Information Network Analysis, Social Network, Link Analysis
- Graph Mining, Web Mining, Text Mining
Data Mining, Database Systems, Statistics, Machine Learning, Information
Retrieval, Network Science
- More about my Research
Selected Publications [Full List] [DBLP]
- Ting Chen, Yizhou Sun, Yue Shi, Liangjie Hong, "On Sampling Strategies for Neural Network-based Collaborative Filtering," Proc. of 2017 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'17), Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Aug. 2017. [Slides][code] [video]
- Yupeng Gu, Yizhou Sun, Jianxi Gao, "The Co-Evolution Model for Social Network Evolving and Opinion Migration," Proc. of 2017 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'17), Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Aug. 2017. [Code] [video]
- Ting Chen and Yizhou Sun, "Task-Guided and Path-Augmented Heterogeneous Network Embedding for Author Identification," Proc. of 2017 ACM Int. Conf. on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'17), Cambridge UK, Feb. 2017. [arXiv Version] [Code]
- Ting Chen, Lu-An Tang, Yizhou Sun, Zhengzhang Chen, Kai Zhang, "Entity Embedding-based Anomaly Detection for Heterogeneous Categorical Events," Proc. 25th Int. Joint Conf. on Artifical Intelligence (IJCAI'16), New York City, USA, Jul. 2016.
- Yupeng Gu, Yizhou Sun, Ning Jiang, Bingyu Wang, Ting Chen, "Topic-Factorized Ideal Point Estimation Model for Legislative Voting Network," Proc. of 2014 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD’14), New York, NY, Aug. 2014. [slides] [demo][code and dataset]
- Yizhou Sun, Brandon Norick, Jiawei Han, Xifeng Yan, Philip S. Yu, and Xiao Yu, "Integrating Meta-Path Selection with User-Guided Object Clustering in Heterogeneous Information Networks", Proc. 2012 ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'12), Beijing, China, Aug. 2012. (Best Student Paper Award) [pdf][slides]
- Yizhou Sun, Jiawei Han, Xifeng Yan, Philip S. Yu, and Tianyi Wu, "PathSim: Meta Path-Based Top-K Similarity Search in Heterogeneous Information Networks", PVLDB 4(11): 992-1003, 2011. (Also, Proc. of 2011 Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB'11/PVLDB), Seattle, WA, Aug. 2011.) (Acceptance rate: 100/553 = 18.1%) [pdf] [slides][DBIS data]
- Master Students
- Yuan Zhong (Graduation year: 2017@NEU; now Facebook)
- Susan Collins (Graudation year: 2015@NEU)
- Bingyu Wang (Graduation year: 2014@NEU; now PhD student@NEU)
Selected Honors and Awards
Distinguished Alumni Educator Award, CS @ ILLINOIS Alumni Awards, 2016
Best Paper Award, Tsinghua Science and Technology 2015 Best Paper Award, 2016
NSF CAREER Award, 2015
Yahoo ACE (Academic Career Enhancement) Award, 2013
ACM SIGKDD 2013 Dissertation Award, 2013
Yahoo!-DAIS Outstanding Research Award, UIUC, 2013
Best Student Paper Award, 2012 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on
Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'12), 2012
Best Paper Award, Int. Conf. on Advances in Social
Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM'11), July 2011
- Data Mining Research Awards, Data Mining Group, UIUC,
Fall 2012, Spring 2012, Fall 2011, Spring 2011, Spring 2009, and Fall 2008