About Me [ CV ]
I am currently an assistant professor at Computer Science, UCLA. Prior to that, I joined Northeastern University as an assistant professor in 2013. I received my Ph.D. degree from Computer Science Department, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC) in December 2012. I got my master degree and bachelor degrees in Computer Science and Statistics from Peking University, China.
For Prospective Students
I am now looking for highly motivated Ph.D. students. Read more for related information.
- [Aug. 2017] Giving talk at MIT, attending KDD'17, and giving talk at HRL.
- [Jul. 2017] Visiting Bay Area: giving talks at Google, Standford, Facebook and Pinterest, and visiting Airbnb and Otto Radio.
- [Apr. 2017] Attending WWW'17 Conference.
- [Mar. 2017] Invited Talks at SnapChat, HeartBD2K, and CMU Tepper Business School.
- [Feb. 2017] Attending WSDM'17 Conference.
- [Nov. 2016] Invited Talks at USC Information Sciences Institute and UCSD.
- [Oct. 2016] Visiting UIUC for CS @ ILLINOIS Alumni Awards and invited talk at DAIS Seminar.
- Large-Scale Information Network Analysis, Social Network, Link Analysis
- Graph Mining, Web Mining, Text Mining
- Data Mining, Database Systems, Statistics, Machine Learning, Information Retrieval, Network Science
- More about my Research
Selected Publications [Full List] [DBLP] [Google Scholar]
- Ting Chen, Yizhou Sun, Yue Shi, Liangjie Hong, "On Sampling Strategies for Neural Network-based Collaborative Filtering," Proc. of 2017 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'17), Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Aug. 2017. [Slides][code] [video]
- Yupeng Gu, Yizhou Sun, Jianxi Gao, "The Co-Evolution Model for Social Network Evolving and Opinion Migration," Proc. of 2017 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'17), Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Aug. 2017. [Code] [video]
- Ting Chen and Yizhou Sun, "Task-Guided and Path-Augmented Heterogeneous Network Embedding for Author Identification," Proc. of 2017 ACM Int. Conf. on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM'17), Cambridge UK, Feb. 2017. [arXiv Version] [Code]
- Ting Chen, Lu-An Tang, Yizhou Sun, Zhengzhang Chen, Kai Zhang, "Entity Embedding-based Anomaly Detection for Heterogeneous Categorical Events," Proc. 25th Int. Joint Conf. on Artifical Intelligence (IJCAI'16), New York City, USA, Jul. 2016.
- Yupeng Gu, Yizhou Sun, Ning Jiang, Bingyu Wang, Ting Chen, "Topic-Factorized Ideal Point Estimation Model for Legislative Voting Network," Proc. of 2014 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD’14), New York, NY, Aug. 2014. [slides] [demo][code and dataset]
- Yizhou Sun, Brandon Norick, Jiawei Han, Xifeng Yan, Philip S. Yu, and Xiao Yu, "Integrating Meta-Path Selection with User-Guided Object Clustering in Heterogeneous Information Networks", Proc. 2012 ACM SIGKDD Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'12), Beijing, China, Aug. 2012. (Best Student Paper Award) [pdf][slides]
- Yizhou Sun, Jiawei Han, Xifeng Yan, Philip S. Yu, and Tianyi Wu, "PathSim: Meta Path-Based Top-K Similarity Search in Heterogeneous Information Networks", PVLDB 4(11): 992-1003, 2011. (Also, Proc. of 2011 Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB'11/PVLDB), Seattle, WA, Aug. 2011.) (Acceptance rate: 100/553 = 18.1%) [pdf] [slides][DBIS data]
- Master Students
- Yuan Zhong (Graduation year: 2017@NEU; now Facebook)
- Susan Collins (Graudation year: 2015@NEU)
- Bingyu Wang (Graduation year: 2014@NEU; now PhD student@NEU)
Selected Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Alumni Educator Award, CS @ ILLINOIS Alumni Awards, 2016
- Best Paper Award, Tsinghua Science and Technology 2015 Best Paper Award, 2016
- NSF CAREER Award, 2015
- Yahoo ACE (Academic Career Enhancement) Award, 2013
- ACM SIGKDD 2013 Dissertation Award, 2013
- Yahoo!-DAIS Outstanding Research Award, UIUC, 2013
- Best Student Paper Award, 2012 ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD'12), 2012
- Best Paper Award, Int. Conf. on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM'11), July 2011
- Data Mining Research Awards, Data Mining Group, UIUC, Fall 2012, Spring 2012, Fall 2011, Spring 2011, Spring 2009, and Fall 2008