I am an assistant professor in the department of Computer Science at UCLA. My research goal is to build intelligence systems that solve real-world problems by automatically acquiring knowledge. This challenging goal involves two fundamental components: A machine learning component that can efficiently make coherent decisions for problems with complex structures, and a natural language understanding component that enables the system to extract knowledge from unstructured text. I have been published broadly in machine learning, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, and data mining.
- email: kw AT kwchang DOT net
- see my calendar for scheduling a meeting with me.
- Office hours: Mon 3pm-4pm, Engr VI 374
Prospective students We are looking for highly motivated students to join UCLA-NLP lab. Please read my Research Statement to learn my general research directions. If you're intersted in joining us, please fill in this application form Due to the large number of inquiries from prospective students, please understand that I generally cannot respond personally. But if you are a strong candidate, I will contact you during the admission season.
- EMNLP 2019
- 7.30.2019 -- 8.2.2019, ACL 2019
- 6.02.2019 -- 6.07.2019, NAACL 2019
- 08.2019, Our papers are aaccepted by CoNLL: Corss-lingual Parser, Bilingual Representatio Learning.
- 08.2019, Our papers are accepted by EMNLP: Constrained Corss-lingual Parser, Bi-Lingual Gender Bias, Blocking Adversarial Attacks, Budgeted Text Classifier.
- 05.2019, Our Literature review on NLP bias and Few-Short Representation Leanring are accepted by ACL.
- 02.2019, Our papers about Cross-lingual transfer for dependency parsing and Bias in Contextualized Word Embedding are accepted by NAACL 2019.
- 02.2019, We (Margaret Mitchell, Vicente Ordonez, and I) will give a tutorial on ``Bias and Fairness in Natural Language Processing'' at EMNLP 2019.
- 12.2018, I will be the area chair for NAACL 2019, AKBC 2019 and ACL 2019.
- 10.2018, Kai-Wei won the best reviewer award at EMNLP 2018
- 09.2018, Welcome Tao Meng and Kuan-Hao Huang to join my group!
- 09.2018, Jieyu is invited to give a talk at Grace Hopper Celebration 2018
- 08.2018, Jieyu is a special guess to talk about gender bias in coreference resolution at NLP highlight podcast
- 08.2018, two of our papers are accepted by EMNLP 2018: one is about Learning Gender-Neutral Word Embeddings another is about Generating Natural Language Adversarial Examples.
- 06.2018, Prof Chang. has been named a 2018 Okawa Foundation Research Grant recipient
- 06.2018, Thank Taboola for providing a gift fund to support our research.
- 04.2018, Our paper on modeling language with named entities is accepted by ACL 2018. Congrats Rizwan Parvez.
- Old news
- Tao Meng
- Kuan-Hao Huang
- Wasi Uddin Ahmad
- Jieyu Zhao
- Md. Rizwan Parvez
- Dat Duong (Co-advise with Eleazar Eskin)
- Muhao Chen (Student collaborator)