- Join us! Prospective students please read this.
- I will serve as an associate program chair for AAAI 2023
- GLIP is on Best Paper Fanalist at CVPR 2023. Congrats Harold!
- I will serve as an area chair at EMNLP, NeurIPS, AACL 2023
- Our alumna, Jieyu Zhao, will join USC as an assistant professor in Fall 2023. Congrats!
- Harold Li and Tao Meng receive Amazon Fellowship! Congrats
- 7 papers (4 main, 3 finding) will be presented at ACL. Check out our new ACL 2022 papers.
- 5 long paper are accepted to EMNLP main and 2 papers are accepted to finding. Check out our new EMNLP 2021 papers.
- I will chair the Ethics Committee at NAACL 2022.
- I taught a tutorial on Fairness in NLP at ML Summer School 2021.
- Honored to be awarded Google Research Scholar Award.
- 5 long papers are accepted to ACL main and 2 papers are accepted to finding. Check out our new ACL 2021 papers. Details will be released soon.
- check out our new ICML paper on constraint mining.
- 5 long papers and 2 short paeer are acepted to NAACL. Check out our new NAACL 21 papers.
- Honored to be awarded Sloan Research Fellowship for our work on fairness, robustness, inclusion in Human Language Technology. The award belongs to my students and collaborators.
- Check out our new EACL 21 paper on paraphrase generation.
- I will co-teach a tutorial on Robustness and Adversarial Examples in NLP at EMNLP 2021
- I co-organize an ICLR 2021 workshop on robust and reliable ML. See CFP.
- I co-organize a NAACL 2021 workshop on Trustworthy NLP. See CFP
- Welcome Sunipa Dev to join our group as a postdoctoral fellow.
- See our new papers at EMNLP 2020.
- Welcome Fan Yin and Wade Yin to join our group as a PhD student.
- Congrats Jieyu Zhao on winning the Microsoft PhD fellowship.
- Check out our ICLR paper on verifying Transformer. We also discuss how to identify words that are important to predictions.
- Jieyu Zhao was invited to a panel discussion hosted by UN Woman on Increasing Women’s Participation in a Digital World.
- We will present the following papers in CoNLL/EMNLP 2019
- Interested in fairness in NLP? Check out 1) our tutorial; 2) bias in NLG; 3) bias in language with grammatical gender.
- Interested in robustness in NLP? Check out 4) retrofit ELMo with paraphrases 5) defense against adversarial attacks
- Interested in cross-lingual transfer? Check out 6) learning language-agnostic representations for parsing 7) injecting corpus-level constraints for cross-lingual parser
- Interested in building efficient NLP models? Check out 8) efficent text classifier 9) another recent TACL paper: ELMo with continuous outputs
- Also, check out 10) bilingual dictionary representation 11) demo about visualizing news trends
- We will give a tutorial on transferable representation learning at AAAI 2020
- I’ll serve as an area chair for ICML 2020 and SPC for IJCAI.
- Our paper on Efficient Contextual Representation Learning is accepted by TACL
- Our paper on Gender Bias in Deep Image Representations is accepted by ICCV
- Wasi presents his paper on context attentive document ranking and query suggestion at SIGIR
- Our papers on gender bias litearture survey and Few-short represetnation learning are accepted by ACL
- Thank Taboola for renewing their support for our research
- Our papers on Cross-lingual transfer for parsing and Bias in Contextualized Word Embedding are accepted by NAACL
- We (Margaret Mitchell, Vicente Ordonez, and I) will give a tutorial on ``Bias and Fairness in Natural Language Processing’’ at EMNLP
- I will be the area chair for NAACL 2019, AKBC 2019 and ACL 2019, AAAI 2020.
- I won the best reviewer award at EMNLP 2018
- Welcome Tao Meng and Kuan-Hao Huang to join my group!
- Jieyu is invited to give a talk at Grace Hopper Celebration 2018
- Jieyu is a special guess to talk about gender bias in coreference resolution at NLP highlight podcast
- Our papers on Gender-Neutral Embedding and Adversarial attack are accepted by EMNLP
- I have been named a 2018 Okawa Foundation Research Grant recipient
- Thank Taboola for providing a gift fund to support our research
- Rizwan’s paper on [modeling language with named entities] is accepted by ACL
- Congrats Wasi Ahmad on his SIGIR paper and Muhao Chen on his IJCAI paper
- Congrats Jieyu Zhao on winning the best poster award at SoCal NLP Symposium 2018
- Check out our new NAACL paper on Gender Bias in Coreference Resolution
- Check out our new NAACL paper on LearningWord Embeddings for Low-resource Languages by PU Learning
- I will give a tutorial on Quantifying and Reducing Gender Stereotypes in Word Embeddings at FAT 18
- Check out our paper accepted by ICLR 2018
- I give a tutorial at TAAI 17’
- Our paper on reducing gender bias won the best long paper award at EMNLP 17
- Our paper on multi-sense embedding won the best paper award at Rep4NLP workshop at ACL 17.
- I join the UCLA-CS. I’ve enjoyed every moment at UVa, where the department and my collaborators gave me enormous support to start my career. I’m excited about the next adventure and looking forward to collaborating with excellent folks in SoCal.
- Check out our workshop on Structured Prediction for NLP at EMNLP.
- Check out our workshop on Deep Structured Prediction at ICML 2017
- My proposal, CRII: Learning Structured Prediction Models with Auxiliary Supervision has been funded by NSF
- Congratulate Wasi Ahmad on being awarded the William L Ballard Jr. Fellowship for Spring of 2017.
- I will give an invited talk at NIPS 16 Workshop on Learning in High Dimensions with Structure and VW tutorial at Machine Learning System Workshop
- Our paper is accepted by AAAI 17: Structured Prediction with Test-time Budget Constraints
- Thanks all participants for a successful workshop. See you in the Second Workshop on Structured Prediction for NLP at EMNLP 2017 in Copenhagen!
- Our paper about debiasing word embeddings is reported by NPR and MIT Technology Review.
- Two papers are accepted by NIPS! Credit assignment compiler for L2S; Debiasing word embeddings.
- I join the Computer Science Department at University of Virginia as an Assistant Professor!
- One paper is accepted by EMNLP: Learning from Explicit and Implicit Supervision Jointly For Algebra Word Problems
- Checkout our tutorial on Structured Prediction at AAAI16.
- A complete list is in Google Scholar.
- Broaden the Vision: Geo-Diverse Visual Commonsense Reasoning, Da Yin, Liunian Harold Li, Ziniu Hu, Nanyun Peng, and Kai-Wei Chang, in EMNLP, 2021. Details
- Harms of Gender Exclusivity and Challenges in Non-Binary Representation in Language Technologies, Sunipa Dev, Masoud Monajatipoor, Anaelia Ovalle, Arjun Subramonian, Jeff Phillips, and Kai-Wei Chang, in EMNLP, 2021. Details
- An Integer Linear Programming Framework for Mining Constraints from Data, Tao Meng and Kai-Wei Chang, in ICML, 2021. Details
- Unified Pre-training for Program Understanding and Generation, Wasi Ahmad, Saikat Chakraborty, Baishakhi Ray, and Kai-Wei Chang, in NAACL, 2021. Details
- VisualBERT: A Simple and Performant Baseline for Vision and Language, Liunian Harold Li, Mark Yatskar, Da Yin, Cho-Jui Hsieh, and Kai-Wei Chang, in Arxiv, 2019. Details
- Target Language-Aware Constrained Inference for Cross-lingual Dependency Parsing, Tao Meng, Nanyun Peng, and Kai-Wei Chang, in EMNLP, 2019. Details
- Men Also Like Shopping: Reducing Gender Bias Amplification using Corpus-level Constraints, Jieyu Zhao, Tianlu Wang, Mark Yatskar, Vicente Ordonez, and Kai-Wei Chang, in EMNLP, 2017. Details
- Sloan Research Fellowship, 2021
- Okawa Research Grant Award, 2018
- EMNLP Best Long Paper Award, 2017
- KDD Best Paper Award, 2010
- Amazon Research Award, Facebook Research Award
- Tutorial: Robustness and Adversarial Examples in NLP
- Tutorial: Recent Advances in Transferable Representation Learning
- Tutorial: Bias and Fairness in Natural Language Processing
- Tutorial: Learning and Inference in Structured Prediction Models
- Tutorial: Hands-on Tutorial: Quantifying and Reducing Gender Stereotypes in Word Embeddings
- Associate Professor, UCLA Computer Science 22-
- Assistant Professor, UCLA Computer Science 17-22
- Assistant Professor, U.Va. Computer Science 16-17
- Post-doc, Microsoft Research New England 15-16
- Ph.D., UIUC Computer Science 15
- M.S. (Computer Science), B.S. (Computer Science), B.S. (Electrical Engineering), National Taiwan University
- Special Topic in AI: Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency in Natural Language Processing, UCLA (Winter 2020)
- Introduction to Machine Learning, UCLA (Winter 2018, Fall 2018, Fall 2019)
- Seminar: Machine Learning in Natural Language Processing, UCLA (Fall 2017, Spring 2019)
- Advanced ML – Structured Prediction and Deep Learning, U.Va. (Spring 2017)
- Natural Language Processing, U.Va. (Fall 2016)
- Senior Area Chair: NAACL 21
- Area Chair: NAACL 18, 19, EMNLP 19, 20, ACL 19, 20, 21, AAAI 20, 21.
- Senior PC: AAAI 18, AAAI 19, ICML 20, IJCAI 20, 21.
- Reviwer: NAACL/ACL/EMNLP/CoNLL (since 2013); EMNLP 2018 Best Reviewer. AAAI/ICML/NeurIPS (since 2013).
- JAIR Editorial Board
- Handbook Chair, EMNLP 18
- Orgainzer: Workshop on Deep Structured Prediction, ICML 17
- Orgainzer: Workshop on Structured Prediction for NLP, EMNLP 16, 17